Tuesday 17 June 2014

KIT PICKS: If the shoe fits, don’t ever change it!


When I first started road running three years ago I wasn’t too fussed about what I wore on my feet. In fact, when I went to my running club for the very first time I wore a pair of bulky Adidas trainers that had been stuffed away in a cupboard for a good few years. When I eventually decided to invest in a pair of new running sneaks, I opted for ASICS Gel Nimbus 14 and still to this day, I have no idea why.

ASICS is a brand I love. In my teens, I always wore ASICS spikes so I think that’s what drew me to the Gel Nimbus. I also liked the idea of extra cushioning and they looked quite snazzy. What I didn’t factor in was whether they were the right shoe for my running style. In case you were wondering - they weren’t.

I trained for my first half marathon in the Gel Nimbus and what a ball ache it was. Every time I ran (whether it was a parkrun or the Wiltshire 10), I would hobble over the finish line with numerous blisters burning on the inner sides of my feet. The outer side of my feet also KILLED! The feeling when running really got to me and when it finally came round to running the half marathon, I last minute ditched the ASICS and opted for the decrepit Adidas pair, which on race day were just as horrendous.

So by this point, as you can imagine, my feet aren’t looking great and after feeling like I got my money’s worth with the ASICS, I popped to Sweatshop and did a gait analysis and was prescribed a neutral road running shoe. I had the choice of an ASICS pair (the exact name escapes me) or the Mizuno Wave Rider 16. The latter felt like a lightweight dream (and looked pretty) so 45 minutes later and £100 down, I left the shop with my new trainers.


I haven’t looked back since. I absolutely adore my Mizuno’s. No blisters, no aches and a series of PB’s came with these bad boys. They offer moderate cushioning in a weightless frame and the Wave technology provides protection from impact to allow for a smoother run. They also have plenty of ventilation to remove any signs of heat and humidity.

Just over a year later, I am still living in these beauties but they are starting to look a little worse for wear (as you can see below). Will I be opting for a new pair of Mizuno’s? Hell yes! In fact, I already have. I managed to find the exact same pair on Achilles Heel for £70, which I am super chuffed about!


Now I know how I run in Mizuno and how they feel on my feet, investing in a new pair of trainers could not be easier for me. I am a Mizuno wearer through and through (on my feet at least) and thrilled to have a squeaky clean new pair. I haven’t forgotten about my ASICS though. Due to the Mizuno’s being designed for road, I can confirm they don’t bode well for trail races (as I discovered at Bayer 10K a few weeks back). My ASICS however, might just be a good option if I ever decide to opt for a trail run. I’ll just have to make sure I wear extreme blister proof socks! 

If you are reading this and new to running, I recommend two things when it comes to finding the perfect pair of trainers:

1. Be patience
2. For Pete’s sake, do a gait analysis!


Lipstick Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment