Friday 1 April 2016

Biking, hiking and then getting injured...

It's been a while since my last post (which was a review of my half marathon!). March has whizzed by in a blur and I have been super busy kick starting my training for Cotswold's Triathlon in June. It has been so nice to finally get back on my bike and reduce the milage in my runs. I have definitely made the most of being on wheels with a few good long cycles, including a 40 miler from North London to Richmond and back. 

Things were going really well and I was really excited to finish the month spending Easter in the Lake District hiking with my family. We had an absolute blast and managed to get in some good climbs. I did however come away with a rather painful injury to my right achilles, which even six days later, I am still suffering with. Looking back, I am wondering if its linked to my hiking boots (which to be honest were just a cheap pair from Mountain Warehouse). They didn't have the best support, especially around the ankle and I assume that I am now paying the price for this. 
Running is now currently off the cards and cycling is just about manageable. Going uphill is a bit painful. I can luckily still swim (thank god I can do something!), but even walking is painful. The aim of the game is to ice and stretch as much as I can to ensure I make a speedy recovery! I am definitely not in a place to be injured (well who ever is!?). I have Tough Mudder just round the corner and need to make sure I am in tip top shape for it!

Do you have any tips for achilles niggles? Would love to hear any advice for a quick, secure recovery!


Lipstick Runner.

1 comment:

  1. The best advice is to rest. While it may seem obvious, many of us who are athletes don't actually do that. Ignore your need to get back out on the trail and rest as much as you can. Nurse your achilles for the entire time from now until your competition!

    ReplyDelete